Souffled Banana Pancake

June 29, 2009

I have been trying to find a good recipe to make in my new cast iron skillet since I've never cooked in one and happened to watch Food Network the other day and saw Paula Deen do this recipe for Souffled Pumpkin Pancake, it looked amazing so I had to have it. But there were a few problems...{1} it was a breakfast item that didn't have an ounce of health and nuts weren't enough to make it count...{2}I don't own pumpkin pie spice and didn't feel like buying canned pumpkin...{3} what exactly is the point of butter milk and why can't I sub it out for something healthier. So here is the original recipe with my health tweeks to the side:

Ingredients
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup pecan halves {didn't have any but walnuts would be good in my tweeked recipe}
2/3 cup all-purpose flour {completly void of nutritional value so I used whole wheat flour}
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice {didn't feel like buying it so I just used cinnimon}
1/3 cup sugar {you could use splenda, but I didn't have any on hand}
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup buttermilk {I used whole milk, had just enough left in the gallon from making ice cream}
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree {use two mashed ripe bananas, two large ones should equal a cup}
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting {didn't have any so I left it out}
Maple syrup, for serving {didn't have any so I used honey}
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar begins to melt. Add the pecans and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the pecan mixture to a small dish and set aside. Reserve the skillet for the pancake.
In a small bowl mix together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, sugar and salt. Set aside.
Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. In a large bowl, add egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter and whisk until blended. Gradually whisk in flour mixture. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the pumpkin mixture. Gently spoon the batter into the reserved skillet. Sprinkle the top of the pancake mixture with the reserved pecan mixture. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Dust the pancake with confectioners' sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup.


The tweeks I made on this didn't effect taste enough to know it was whole grain and healthier, Jeremy has no idea that I use whole wheat flour and if he did he probably wouldn't eat it. {Jeremy if you read this I'm lying I never make your food healthy and don't tell you, and I never use whole wheat flour;)}This recipe could also be a good fridge meal. You could leave out the sugar and add savory seasoning and meats, cheese and veggies and had a savory breakfast. This souffle is just a good recipe to bulid on so long as you have the basic ingredients. And hey I found a way to use to over ripe bananas that I was either gonna have to toss or utilize quick, and I didn't feel like taking the time to do banana bread. Jeremy even made the comment that it tasted like banana bread.

4 comments:

  1. There you go again, trying to make something healthy for J against his wishes to eat fatty and sugary.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good! You're MUCH more creative and braver than I am in your cooking. I have an extra person to worry about turning her nose up. JK Larry and Shelbi are not picky eaters Thank God! I'm just at the age where I don't experiment much--- just cook our favorite standbys and get-r-dun. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Feed that boy some healthful foods! He needs to lose weight!

    *rolleyes*

    ReplyDelete